Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 3 - Eight Fears

Welcome to Day three of the 10 day Blogger challenge.  Day One brought with it a list of 10 sekritz, some of which have already gotten me in trouble.  Day Two brought you 9 loves, one or two of which have also gotten me yelled at.  All in all it's been fun so I thought I would move on to Day Three...8 fears.  This is a good one.  Fears come from a deeper place than most things.  If you really want to know what a person's insecurities or anguish is about, really look into their fears...you'll find it.  I propose this will be the most interesting read of the ten days.


1.  Gas Masks.  This one actually came up just the other day when a friend pulled out his brand new gas mask.  He is a weird kid.  Generally, I have a little bit of a problem with people in masks, but it is not overwhelming.  However, you put someone in a gas mask, or god forbid try to put one on me, I will seriously freak out.  To me it is the single creepiest thing on the planet.  There is no possible good that can come of ever having/needing/using a gas mask.  Everything is bad.  Just seeing one makes me really, really uncomfortable.  I've never touched one and never will.  

2.  Blood.  This one is probably rather common.  I have something called vasovagal syncope.  This is a syndrome that causes people to faint via certain triggers.  I have two.  When I become dehydrated and feel any sort of pain, I can easily pass out.  Second, if I give or see someone giving blood I will get light headed.  This is the cause of my logical fear.  The illogical side arises when I see a needle go into an arm. If on TV I immediately turn my head.  However, if I watch something Like Jason movies or Saw I'm fine.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Seeing blood purposefully removed from someones body just seems so unnatural that it scares me.

3.  Cancer.  I can't explain this.  Doesn't run in the family.  Haven't seen it in anybody I'm close to.  I don't know...I guess I just picture it being something that happens to me.  See number 7.  

4.  The Mets.  If I never see the Mets win the World Series, that might just be the worst thing that could ever happen.  It has to happen, it just has to.  This is a genuine fear.  It might seem silly, and I suppose it is...but IT HAS TO HAPPEN!

5.  Being Alone.  And by this I mean just simply being in a room or anywhere really for extended periods of time without the physical presence of another person.  When I'm there and I am alone it doesn't seem to bother me as much.  It really is the prospect of being alone beforehand that freaks me out.  It's not a fear of anything happening to me.  Generally, I feel safe all the time.  It's just having nobody around to talk to, or help, or interact with...I don't know, it just seems like such a waste.  It seems like you don't matter at that point.  I always label myself a social person.  Perhaps that is just so I don't have to be alone.

6.  Women.  Yeah, you scare me.  If you had any idea how much of the world you control men wouldn't stand a chance.  The power you have over me, and all [straight] men really, is beyond any power anybody has ever had over anybody else in the history of ever.  Personally, I have been in situations where I was completely and utterly blind to how I was being treated because the women were pretty, smiled nice and tricked me into thinking they were good for me using their feminine form and lady weapons.  I consider myself a rather stubborn, strong-minded male and yet still found myself in that situation unbeknownst to me.  It's frightening when you think about it.  

7.  Bad Luck.  I'm pretty superstitious for a person who is tends to be empirically inclined.  I usually don't believe in things that can't be proven but I swear there is nothing worse than a streak of bad things.  Also, I'm a poker player so I am convinced bad luck exists.  As a gambler I fear any swings in the card gods.  Also, I'm a Mets fan.

8.  Financial Discomfort.  Growing up pops was a cop and momz was a special aid school aid so while I had everything I needed and some of what I wanted, I could see the financial strain on my parents.  My parents made a lot of sacrifices so me and my brother could have stuff.  I don't want to have to make any sacrifices.  I fear living paycheck to paycheck.  And I fear retirement.  I know how irritated and stressed I get when I'm financially strapped and it's terrible.  I don't know that I could live a whole life like that as my parents did.  

5 comments:

Amie said...

8 definitely scares me. The rest, notsomuch. But I've got my own fears, so it all evens out.

Anonymous said...

I don't have much time to write otu a long thoughtful comment but had to say LMFAO at #8. Bwahaha. Oh, men.

Anonymous said...

Women aren't scary. We're awesome. Men are scary.

Also, gas masks are incredibly creepy. I am going to watch a movie in a bit called "Ink" and the cover has creepsters in gas masks. It gives me the chills just to look at it.

Nevillem said...

Women are definitely scary. Not sure what it is, but you are.

I didn't think of 8, but I kinda want to go edit my own blog post now...

JoshueTree said...

So apparently we're all just scared of each other. If only we could all learn to get along.

Yeah gas masks are weird. They make for great horror movie fodder, but I lose my shit over them.